A survey by Forza Supplements reveals that barbecues are making people fat. Other findings:
- the average person eats 3,000 calories at a bbq or the equivalent of 1.5 days of food
- 50% of barbecue diners go back for seconds while 12% have had fourth helpings
- most popular BBQ dishes: burgers, sausages, kebabs, steak, chicken drumsticks and lamb chops
- 50% of barbecue diners eat dessert
Memorial Day BBQ
According to the National Cattleman's Beef Association, steak will be the number one grilled item this Memorial Day Weekend followed by burgers, chicken, pork, hot dogs and fish.
Grill owners fire up their grills twice a week in the summer.
11% of grill owners received their grill as a gift
According to the Weber Grill Company, over 5,000,000 hot dogs will be eaten between Memorial Day and Labor Day. Close to 4,700,000 hamburgers will be eaten during this same time period with mustard being the number one condiment on both. The top BBQ sauces are hickory, tomato-based, honey and mesquite.
Hot Dog Survey
A survey by the organic meat company Applegate reveals that 43% of people are scared to know what ingredients are in their hot dogs. Other findings:
- 33% of people avoid eating hot dogs because they believe they are made with low quality meats and fillers
- 70% of people say 'less is more' when looking at a hot dog's ingredients label
- 24% of Millennials never eat or buy hot dogs
- 61% of people say mustard is their favorite hot dog topping