1. Communication. You have to be able to talk and express your feelings. And you need to learn to be CIVIL with each other while you do it.
2. Learning to compromise. You won't always get what you want, and you shouldn't need to win every fight. Learn to meet in the middle on stuff.
3. Accepting that there will be ups and downs. Don't go in thinking you'll feel connected and happy every minute of every day.
4. Realizing your SEX life might have ups and downs. It won't always be great, and that's okay. Sex is important, but don't put too much pressure on yourselves.
5. Being ready to hang in there during the bumpy times. You can't have one foot out the door. You have to have faith that you'll reconnect and work things out.
6. Realizing your relationship will evolve, and that it's a GOOD thing. If you try to keep things exactly the same for 30 straight years, you'll start to feel bored and suffocated.
7. Realizing that you also have to change and evolve as an INDIVIDUAL. In other words, keep growing as a person. Being too codependent puts a lot of pressure on a relationship. So be your own person too.